‘If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.’ African proverb
Zambia’s borders have opened, which means tourists and the trade can again support the oasis of tranquillity, The River Club.
This boutique owner-run lodge in Livingstone, Zambia, just 18km upstream from the renowned Victoria Falls, has firm roots in our community. Not only are we invested in the ongoing development and upliftment of our nearby village, Simonga, but we actively contribute towards the Livingstone area through the preservation of the town's heritage and culture.
Although Zambia's borders reopened at the end of June for international travel (the town of Livingstone had no COVID-19 cases), travel bans applicable in source markets meant that the lodge had to close temporarily (it has since reopened on July 3). As our staff and their wellbeing remain a primary concern we have launched a Staff Relief Fund, with 100% of the proceeds going to our Zambian staff living in the local community. The Relief Fund works by way of a raffle to win a three-night stay at the lodge, where each US$50 donation is awarded an entry. All proceeds are fully accounted for and are divided equally among Zambian staff members during this time of uncertainty.
Resident Co-owner of The River Club, Peter Jones, has also made his nearby private plot of land on the banks of the Zambezi River, available to the staff members and their families to farm their own produce. At Peter's expense, the land has been prepared for farming, electric fencing has been installed to protect crops, and seeds were purchased. The seedlings have already started to yield good crops and staff have started to harvest their fresh produce and will be able to sell the surplus for additional income.
MORE ABOUT SIMONGA VILLAGE
For the past 20 years, The River Club has been supporting and improving the lives of the 4 000 inhabitants of nearby Simonga Village. Not only do many of our staff hail from Simonga, but various health and educational projects have been funded by income generated from the lodge's hospitality operations and assistance from generous sponsors.
Projects with some of the many sponsors include:
- Building a Health Post, plus equipment (BELRON SA, YESNER)
- Pharmaceuticals Aust (CEO Group USA)
- Construction of a Police Post at the request of the villagers (JACOBS UK)
- Renovation of the water supply system, which now provides 50,000 litres of clean water each day to the villagers (ZURICH and ADAMSON UK, de ALBA BARNOLA Mexico)
- Providing 300 children with solar study lamps so that they can do their homework at night (Geoff/Bonnie MORGAN and sponsors)
- A new library and canteen at the school (GREG CARR Foundation USA)
- Providing breakfast for 400 children daily during term time (SONDLAND/DURANT Foundation)
- A new goat shed for animal husbandry studies (UNUM)
- Sponsorships for 50 children to high schools in Livingstone (SLOAN Scholarship)
- A new kindergarten classroom for the village pre-school (Norwich Union now AVIVA Insurance)
- Sponsorship of three teachers through University courses (SLOAN Scholarship)
- Gardening tools for the students to grow vegetables (STONEY Ireland)
- Payment of exam fees for children taking annual tests
- A new Community Hall for 250 people
- Provision of pencils, pens, books, maps etc for each grade every term
- New houses for two of the leaders of the area (SATORI)
- Transport for the students to attend sports matches and scholastic competitions. The lodge also hosts students from abroad to come and spend time on voluntourism tasks assisting children at the school with sports and more.
MORE ABOUT THE RIVER CLUB
A boutique, owner-run luxury lodge, The River Club is Livingstone’s premier destination on the Zambezi River. We are defined by the value we attach to lasting memories, genuine hospitality, our peaceful location, the preservation of Livingstone’s history and our commitment to the local community of which we form part.
Our eleven spacious suites each nestle within the treeline in a tranquil oasis overlooking a sweeping bend of the mighty Zambezi River, just 18km/11 miles upstream of the renowned Victoria Falls and the town of Livingstone. From their elevated positions, the suites are perfectly situated for views across the river to the Zambezi National Park on the opposite bank, home to an array of wildlife and birds in an area of abundant natural beauty.
For that perfect mix of idyllic relaxation and adventure travel, along with unbeatable sights, The River Club is the ultimate destination. A host of activities await young and old, on the property as well as in the nearby area. It is an idyllic retreat for families, honeymooners or those on a safari circuit in Southern or East Africa.
We offer a truly authentic local experience within the context of Livingstone and the natural heritage of the Zambezi River and Victoria Falls. Our mission is achieved when engaging service, synergy with our community and attention to detail elevate each stay – turning moments into memories for our guests. www.theriverclub.africa