Footsteps Through Africa has recreated most of its charter tours for 2020, offering new routes that showcase the best of the destinations in which it operates.
Touring through Botswana, Kenya, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe, tours are generally 14 or 15 days, with the exception of SA, which is 19 days. Tours run seasonally, ensuring the best conditions for each destination.
“We offer scheduled departures of all our tours every year – on which individuals/couples/friends can book; as well as private, tailor-made tours, catering for people’s personal budgets, safari styles (camping/accommodated/up-market/adventure), time frames, etc.,” says Jo Cooper, Founding Director of Footsteps.
Tours operate in custom-made 13-seater 4x4 overland vehicles, which have air-conditioning, fridge/freezers, and pop-up roofs. Tours are, however, limited to 10 passengers, to ensure more comfort and a more personal tour experience. Tours are offered in English, French, Portuguese and Spanish.
“Most of our scheduled tours are more ‘up-market', [overnighting] in well-located and beautifully designed lodges,” says Cooper. “Uganda and Botswana tours also have a few nights of ‘assisted camping’: sleeping in classic, dome-style, canvas tents, but the camp is set up for the group prior to their arrival. [There are also] stretchers with mattresses, solar lights, sleeping bags and pillows provided). We only use ‘assisted camping’ when it benefits the experience in that particular area.”
All tours include pre-tour accommodation (night before the trip starts), airport transfers, transport in 13-seater overland trucks, all accommodation (between lodges and assisted camping), most meals, professional and experienced tour guide, all national park entrance fees, drinking water, Footsteps welcome package (T-shirt, water bottle, brochure, etc), in-country flights (if there is a flight during the tour, for example Okavango Delta, flight to Zanzibar, etc) and all activities in the itinerary.
Footsteps will be offering the following 2020 scheduled tours:
- Uganda and Rwanda: 14 days, Kigali to Entebbe: Primate and Big Five Safari (only offered during dry season, July to September and January/February).
- Kenya/Tanzania: 14 days, Nairobi to Zanzibar: Migration and Beach Tour (only offered during peak migration season, July to September and January/February).
- Botswana: 15 days, Johannesburg to Livingstone: Discover Wild Botswana tour (only offered during dry season, June to September).
- Namibia: 15 days, Windhoek: Desert and Wildlife Explorer (offered in shoulder season, March/April and August to October).
- South Africa: 19 days, Johannesburg to Cape Town: Coastal and Wildlife Explorer (offered in shoulder season, March/April and August to October).
- Mozambique Special: 12 days, Johannesburg: Beach and Bush Experience (offered during SA school holidays).
- Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana Combo: 19 days, Livingstone: Ultimate Wildlife Tour (only offered during dry season, June to October).
Footsteps will launch an ‘adventure tour’ in 2020 combining Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe. The tour will a 19-day camping tour.