ITB Berlin (04 - 08 March 2020) has been cancelled due to the increasing global spread of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
Organisers of the event, Messe Berlin, said in a statement that they could not meet the increased health requirements. This had prompted Germany’s Federal Ministry of Health and the Federal Ministry of Economics to cancel ITB Berlin late on Friday.
CEO of Messe Berlin GmbH, Dr Christian Göke, highlighted that the organisers had been pointing out for weeks that the decision to hold or cancel major events could only be made on based on recommendation or instructions from the relevant authorities.
“Only these authorities have all the necessary information and expertise to draw the right conclusions,” he added.
"With more than 10 000 exhibitors from over 180 countries, ITB Berlin is of outstanding importance for the global tourism industry. We take our responsibility for the health and safety of our guests, exhibitors and employees very seriously,” said Göke, noting that the decision was taken with a “heavy heart”
Chairman of the Supervisory Board of Messe Berlin, Wolf-Dieter, pointed out that in the 54-year history of ITB Berlin, the organisers had never experienced a comparable situation.
“We would like to thank all exhibitors and partners around the world who have supported ITB Berlin in the past days and weeks, and look forward to continuing our trusting cooperation with our partners in the market,” he said.