Peter Dros, Sales and Marketing Director at Fancourt, told Tourism Update that the following were the top five family add-ons near the Garden Route.
- Redberry Farm: strawberry picking, bumper boats, rabbit feeding, paddle boats, pedal go-carts, pony rides, the Redberry Express (a children’s train) and the largest hedge maze in the Southern hemisphere.
- Cango Caves, Oudtshoorn: situated 29km from Oudtshoorn lies an underground wonder of the Klein Karoo. Running parallel to the Swartberg Mountains, the caves are filled with dripstone caverns, halls and towering formations. All tours are led by accredited cave guides and are mostly offered in English, but German, French and other language options may be available.
- Sandboarding at Mossel Bay: situated about an hour’s drive from Fancourt is the world-famous ‘Dragon Dune’. Here, families will enjoy the longest sand board ride in South Africa. All age groups are accommodated.
- The Knysna Elephant Park: The park was the first facility in South Africa to house and care for orphaned African elephants. These animals include relocated animals, orphaned calves, elephants rescued from culls and ex-circus animals. Some have become part of the resident herd, others have moved on to other reserves and facilities in the Western and Eastern Cape.
- Meerkat Safaris: Situated at Buffelsdrift Game Lodge, this educational experience exposes families to meerkats in their natural environment. This activity is not suitable for children under the age of eight.