South Africa’s Deputy Minister of Tourism, Elizabeth Thabethe, will be hosting the fifth annual Women in Tourism (WiT) Conference at the Protea Hotel Hunters Rest in Rustenburg, North West Province, from January 23 to 24.
Themed ‘Promoting empowerment and jobs for shared growth’, WiT will feature presentations and facilitated panel discussions that encourage reflection and discussion on the following:
- Accelerating the economic empowerment and progression of women in the tourism sector;
- Expanding the role of women in the tourism sector through the Women in Tourism platform; and
- Exploring new and varied business opportunities to advance women entrepreneurs and contribute to job creation.
Since its inception in 2013, the WiT programme has worked to elevate the representation of women in the sector. Premised on the principles of respect, recognition, representation and reward for women – WiT drives programmes that support the development and empowerment of women with the view of transforming the sector.
Conference highlights include:
- Opening address by the MEC for Tourism in the North West Province, Wendy Joy Nelson.
- Keynote address, and a special announcement set to propel the WiT goals in 2019 will be conducted by Deputy Minister Thabethe.
- Message of support by the Queen Mother of the Royal Bafokeng Nation, Dr. Semane Bonolo Molotlegi.
- Panel discussions on:
- Pioneers in the tourism industry – women in tourism success stories
- Skills development agenda for women in the sector
- Supplier development and business networking
- Marketing and market access
- Maritime opportunities for women in tourism
Other highlights in the programme include an introduction of the National Tourism Visitor Information System by Dr. Nomvulelo Songelwa; business development and financial management – Nedbank, by Nirmarla Reddy; and product offerings and opportunities in tourism by Estelle Solomons.
For more information, click here.