The Zambian government plans to relaunch the national carrier in partnership with Ethiopian Airlines, with the government as the majority shareholder.

“Cabinet has approved the re-establishment of the long-awaited national airline at an initial estimated cost of $30 million (R370m),” Transport Minister, Brian Mushimba, told local press.

Acting Information Minister, Stephen Kampyongo, said Zambia would have a 55% share in the national airline while Ethiopian Airlines would hold the remaining 45%.

The national airline will operate as Zambia Airways 2014 Limited, succeeding the defunct Zambia Airways. Zambia Airways was liquidated in 1994 and, since then, the country has had no national carrier.